Archive | Computer Repairs RSS feed for this section

Increasing Bandwidth Limit

2 Jun

By default (even with QoS disabled) Windows XP and above reserves up to 20 percent of your connections bandwidth. To override this reserve take the following steps.

* Start > Run > type gpedit.msc
* You will see [Local Computer Policy]
* Expand the [Administrative Templates] branch
* Expand the [Network] branch
* Highlight [QoS Packet Scheduler]

* Double-click [Limit Reservable Bandwidth]
* Check [Enabled]
* Change [Bandwidth limit %] to 0 %
* Click [Apply] [OK]
* Restart

Make sure you Log on as Administrator, not as a user with Administrator privileges.



VMware Workstation: Operation on file .vmdk failed

17 May

I got an error “Operation on file .vmdk failed.” when i tried to boot up my virtual WinXP machine in VMware Workstation.

Here the things I tried:

a) Repaired the vmdk file –> Basic VMDK-repair know-how

b) Converted to .vhd file –> VMDK(VMWare) to VHD Converter

c) Opened the .vhd file –> Windows Virtual PC

d) Converted the .vhd file back to .vmdk file –> How to convert VHD to VMDK partition types (Convert format to VMDK)

After days of finding the solution. I figured out the simple answer is using Winimage 8.50 and open the .vmdk file to recover all your precious data.

Huawei E1550 USB 3G Modem on Windows 7

27 Feb

Got my USB modem dongle 1 month ago. When I connected it to my Win7 notebook, it does not seem to detect the modem but shown a removable storage that contained the Mobile Broadband Modem softwares and drivers.

After installing the software, the removable storage disappeared. Huawei E1550 USB 3G Modem was nowhere detected. Mobile Broadband Modem software prompted that the device was not connected. Try restarting Windows, but still no E1550 found.

I give-up and use the simcard on my Nexus One.

Yesterday, I tried googling for solutions, tried upgrading (I end up downgrading the firmware), but Win7 still can’t find the modem. Use my WinXP VMWare to downgrade the firmware as it detected the modem. Via Starhub’s website, it is confirmed that these firmwares supports Win7.

After getting pieces of tips here and there, today I decided to uninstall the software and driver. Put the installation software on a harddisk drive and installed it without the dongle inserted.

Shutdown my notebook and attached the dongle to the USB slot and re-powered my notebook. Viola, it started to detect the modem!

I’m getting the 3G Application Interface and 3G PC UI Interface! Load Mobile Broadband Modem and there is no more prompting of unavailable device.

Tried ways to share this internet via Access Point, but my notebook Wireless Network Connection adapter does not support Access Point, but only Ad-Hoc network.

No choice, now I had to find a portable 3G wifi router.

Burn CD iso onto DVD

14 Feb

Nero will ask for a CD. When using Cyberlink Power2Go, i can burn it. 🙂

Hacking Acer System Recovery password

27 Jan

The Windows Vista harddisk partition on my niece Acer Travelmate 6291 went corrupt. Since the dvd drive is having problem with the backup recovery disks, I decided to load the Acer System Recovery partition by holding the Alt key and press the F10 key simultaneously at the white ACER BIOS screen.

To my surprise, the computer prompt me to enter a password string when I clicked on the “Restore to Factory Default Settings” option after the eRecovery has loaded.

Did some googling on the net and found that the password was stored in the “aimdrs.dat” file located at PQSERVICE hidden partition.

Using Ubuntu 9.10 Linux Live CD, I unhidden the PQSERVICE partition by changing the partition type to “HPFS/NTFS (0x07)” from the Paimpset Disk Utility. The original value was “Unknown (0x27)”.

Found the “aimsdrs.dat” file from the root folder of the PQSERVICE partition. Using the Ubuntu ptedit to open the “aimsdrs.dat” file, I recovered the password.

I hidden back the PQSERVICE partition using the Paimpset Disk Utility to “Empty (0x00)”

Using Ubuntu GParted, I recreated the “C:\” partition. Then I did a reboot and entered the eRecovery menu.

Clicked on the “Restore to Factory Default Settings” option and entered the recovered password, the eRecovery process restored a fully functional factory image in approximately 10 minutes.

Reboot the computer after the eRecovery and voila, I have a new Windows Vista.

More reading here: